Friday, December 14, 2007

QUOTE TIME

Here's what some of the guys were saying after the first match against China. If you want to see more of their quotes, click here to get the full quote sheet on ussoccer.com.

U.S. Midfielder Stuart Holden
On playing for the United States at this level:
“I felt a huge amount of pride wearing the badge of the United States. My only other experience was with the U-20s, so this was special for me. Hopefully I can continue to represent the U.S. in the future.”

U.S. Midfielder Arturo Alvarez
On whether playing in the country that will host the Olympics has given added incentive to qualify:
“For sure. I think it is great coming to China to play the team that will be representing them in the Olympic and getting a little taste of what it will be like. If the atmosphere is great now, I can’t imagine what it will be like for Olympics. Being here has given us extra motivation to work hard and make sure we that we qualify for the Olympic Games.”

U.S. Goalkeeper Chris Seitz
On earning two shutouts in two games for the U-23 MNT:
“Anytime the team can get two shutouts in two games you have to be pleased. Things are going well for us as a defensive unit. I have a lot of familiarity playing with these backs in other age groups, so there is already a comfort level. When you are in a game like that, that familiarity helps settle you down a little bit.”

U.S. defender PATRICK IANNI
On the team’s performance:
“I thought we were well prepared for the game. After an up and down first half, we took to them in the second half. In my opinion, we were unlucky not to come away with a win. It was our first game together as a group, and it took a little while for us to sustain a rhythm on offense. We’re still learning where we need to be positionally with respect to our defensive shape as a whole. Those are some things that we have been constantly going over in camp, and I think there was good progress made as the match went on.”

No comments: