Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Flores on the Flank

Jorge Flores earned his first start last night, starting at left fullback for the suspended Anthony Wallace. Flores, a midfielder for Major League Soccer's Chivas USA who scored three goals last season, has recently made the switch to fullback under Thomas Rongen and is playing the position for the first time in his career.

We asked the 19-year-old for his thoughts and here is what he had to say:

"I will play wherever the coaches want me to, whether that's at left back or left midfield. I will do my best wherever I am because that's where the team needs me. I think I did well and it felt good. I think the back four did a good job because they weren't able to get through us and I don't think I let my attacker get by me on the wing."

...and to further explain the red card:

"The player was antagonizing me, he was pinching me as we were going up the field and talking trash. I kind of threw up my arm to get him off of me and he threw up his arms and took a couple of steps backwards. I did touch him, but I think the assistant referee thought I tried to elbow him."

No comments: